We'll find ALL your ancestors!
Enter a name below:
Find Your Ancestors Today!
  
Find Ancestors

Try this Free People Search now!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Genealogy Software - Do I need it ?

The answer to this question is a simple YES!  I'll explain why shortly.

After gathering all of the information from your immediate family and friends, you will now hopefully have plenty of "Family Group Sheets" full of great genealogy records ready to be entered into a genealogy software program. I know that many people will think that you can just use a spreadsheet to record it, but you really do need software as your family tree keeps growing. I have seen people create massive spreadsheets which they have spent hours and hours updating, and it has still ended up as a mess at the end of the day.

If you don't have any cash to spare and want a basic free program that will get you started Personal Ancestral File known as PAF is a great one to begin with. It has been created by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it was the one that I used when I first started.

I will review genealogy software in more detail in a future blog, however the one that I currently use is Family Tree Makerby Ancestry.com which you'll find very user friendly with loads of special features and very reasonably priced at US$39.95 for the 2010 version.

Thanks for dropping in, see you next time, where we'll discuss some online options to find your ancestors, and to assist you in your genealogy search.

Peter Annett

No comments:

Post a Comment