We'll find ALL your ancestors!
Enter a name below:
Find Your Ancestors Today!
  
Find Ancestors

Try this Free People Search now!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Cemeteries - As a Genealogy Resource to Find Your Family

I guess like most genealogists, I've spent my fair share of time wandering around cemeteries looking at headstones. There is no doubt that this is a great way to find out information on family history if you know where family members are buried. I guess that in my own family history search I was lucky that most of my family lived and died in a particular area in Western Victoria here in Australia, so I probably only had to check out about 20 cemeteries to gather a lot of my information.

Anyway having to walk around cemeteries could soon be a thing of the past, as some cemeteries are now making their burial registers available on the internet! Much of the information is being gathered by volunteers, and then being placed on the internet, some of it even includes headstone transcriptions! This is a wonderful idea, and will help many people research their family in the future. If your local cemetery has not yet started to do this, you should suggest it!

Interment.net is a free online library for historical and genealogy research and contains thousands of burial and cemetery records from all over the world. Here in Australia the best links are at Australian Cemeteries and  South West Victorian Cemeteries .

Please make a comment or suggestion if you have any useful information on gathering research material from cemeteries.

All the best, until next time!
Peter Annett

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter have enjoyed reading your blog. I don't know where to start as i have been given a whole lot of family history info (lucky) and i am the one to keep it going! So i have all the paper work, well quite a bit, and now trying to work out what to do with it! i have no program on my mac yet as i was not sure what to get.Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thanks for the info, very helpful..
    cheers
    Michele (Gold Coast)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele,
    I guess I haven't addressed the issue of genealogy software for the Macintosh Operating System. However there appears to be several options for you to look at Family Tree Maker do not currently have a Mac version, however they do intend releasing one later in the year.

    GEDitCommII appears to be a popular choice for Macintosh, and you can check it out at http://www.geditcom.com/.

    A good site to check out what genealogy software is available for mac is at http://www.macgenealogy.org/mac-genealogy-software/ . Remember Genealogy Software really is a must have item to keep everything organised! I hope I have helped! and good luck with getting your genealogy sorted out.

    Regards,
    Peter Annett

    ReplyDelete